Monday, January 18, 2010

Home - You can go back.. just not to stay.

You ever love a place so much, but just don't fit in? That's how I feel about my hometown. Growing up all I ever thought about was getting out of here, and when I left I finally saw all the good things I overlooked. My viewpoints on a lot things are basically unheard of around here. I've always been that weird girl. I feel like, and I know I'm not the only one, but I'm meant for so much more than this, but I have a love for this place that makes my heart swell. The value people place on family here. The friday night games that everyone goes to even if you hate sports because you KNOW that's where everyone is going to be. The food.. Oh, the food! The old mills. The quiet sundays driving around while everyone else is at church even if they ARE hungover! The way everything changes yet it stays the same. Trees! Green plant life! The fact that its close enough to Atlanta to do whatever you want, but far enough away to not be bothered by it. My childhood had bad things just like most people, but I can honestly say good, bad, and downright ugly things have happened here and I wouldn't trade it for the world. When I was growing up there was only one high school for the whole county.. They have two now! The town was overjoyed when they got a super walmart. Its small. Its friendly for the most part. Its always going to be home. I know its like so many other small towns, but this one has my heart.

* I have to add that as much as I love this place there are things about it that I know will never change that force me to not be able to live here. I really just don't fit. Its nice visiting, and soaking in as many good times with my son that I can in a small, not-so fast paced environment.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I just entered a comment but I'm not sure if it went through.

    So I said something like, Ohhh so much to love about small towns. I wish there were ways to have the best of both worlds (the small towns and the big cities), without all of the bad. I hope you were able to soak up the good on your trip.

    ReplyDelete